The Green Prescription Team are willing to come to the workplace and do a presentation about their programme. Info about it below or phone Call 0800 ACTIVE or 373 5037 to talk to Claire Robertson or Linda Wensley;
What is Green Prescription?
Green Prescription is a programme funded by the Ministry of Health which supports people to increase their level of activity for the benefit of their health.
What does Green Prescription offer?
A Green Prescription allows you to
1. Access free consultations with a qualified and experienced physical activity coach
2. The opportunity to participate in a ‘BE ACTIVE’ programme
3. Join in ‘Have a go’ Sessions
4. Participate in GRx Team Events
1. Free consultations with a qualified and experienced physical activity coach (Green Prescription support person).
With the activity coach you can talk through
- Your lifestyle and current level of physical activity
- Identify any barriers you have to being more active
- Establish a plan of activity suited to your individual needs, health and what you will enjoy.
In addition your Green Prescription Support person can provide you with information about suitable physical activity options in your community.
Ongoing consultations over four months will help you stay on track, and adjust your activity plan to match your changing fitness.
These consultations can be provided either:
- Face to face
At one of the green prescription clinics currently running in Christchurch including:
o QEII Sport & Recreation centre
o Pioneer Sport & Recreation centre
o Linwood Link Centre
o Rolleston Community centre
- Over the Phone
2. ‘BE ACTIVE’ programmes
The BE ACTIVE programmes are delivered by Green Prescription at a range of locations in Christchurch.
Each programme participants have the opportunity to:
- Try a range of activities
For example: low impact exercise, aqua jogging or aquacise, gym, sports, dance
All activities are suited to people new to or returning to activity, with the focus being on having fun and giving things a go.
- Discuss topics that support a healthy lifestyle
For example: motivation, types of exercise, healthy eating, and managing stress. These are provided by experts in each area
- Enjoy the support of the other participants and GRx staff
Cost of attending a Be Active programmes is $3 / session.
The BE ACTIVE programmes run during the school terms. Upcoming programmes
Programmes are listed below or call 0800 ACTIVE (22 84 83) and ask to speak to the Green Prescription staff.
3. ‘Have a Go’ Sessions
The Green Prescription team regularly run ‘Have a Go’ sessions, where people get to try out activities at low cost.
A Green Prescription staff person will meet participants and introduce them to the activity and facility. Upcoming ‘Have a Go’ sessions are listed below or call 0800 ACTIVE (22 84 83) and ask to speak to the Green Prescription staff.
For example: Aqua jogging at QEII, Badminton at the Badminton Hall, Gym at Pioneer.
4. GRx Team Events
Join with GRx staff to participate in a local event such as the City to Surf.
How do I get a Green Prescription?
- Call or visit your GP or Practice Nurse and ask them about providing a Green Prescription
- Call 0800 ACTIVE (22 84 83) and talk to Green Prescription staff
What criteria is there?
- Participants in Green prescription must be 18 years or over
- Want to be more active
- Medically stable to participate in low to moderate activity
Need more information?
Call 0800 ACTIVE or 373 5037 to talk to Claire Robertson or Linda Wensley
For general information on Green Prescription go to Ministry of Health website www.moh.govt.nz/greenprescription
For information on Green Prescription in Canterbury www.sportcanterbury.org.nz